Read Time: 3:09 mins
What is a Meta Description?
Meta descriptions are a brief summary of a web page in your search. This summary helps users at a glance, select which website has the information they need. For example, if I want to learn how to loose weight, ill then look at the content presented to me. The title has to match what I want, and the meta description needs to show me the steps I need to take to get there.
Why is A Meta Description Important?
Good vs. Bad Meta Descriptions
Good Meta Descriptions
This is an example of a great description because because it describes a meta description. It does it in a concise manner that is easy to read with separators between the words.
Bad Meta Descriptions
How to Write Meta Descriptions For Your Website
- what is the page about?
- summarize what’s the most important part of the page.
- For example, if my page is about my services as a flooring installer. I would in my meta description write: “GTA’s Favourite Flooring Team. Professionally Install hardwood, vinyl, staining, and more.”
- write the description in a manor that attracts your potential client to click on your website.
- display only what is true, don’t make up content as click bait, as you will not get leads.
- Make it visually appealing to the eye by creating dashes or using an uppercase letter for each word.
- keep the length of a meta descriptions often around 160 characters in length.
- any longer will get cut off in the search engine and is not read
- The title and the meta description should be talking about the same topic.
Lets learn more, search anything on google and see for yourself! Top pages have a proper meta description, it will be very difficult to find a bad tag anywhere in the first few pages. Meanwhile if you go to the last pages 25+ you will find more websites with pages that do not have a proper meta tags. Indicating that this one important factor has a role when it comes to ranking.